Roulette casino game
Roulette (sometimes called 'rulet') is a game of luck played at the casino. The name 'roulette' comes from a French word meaning 'little wheel'. To win in the roulette casino game is to predict a possible winning number (or group of numbers) and make the bet accordingly.
Components of the roulette
1. The roulette wheel with 36 red and black pockets on it represented by 36 numbers arranged in a certain sequence and a zero ('0') in European roulette. The American version of the roulette game offers an extra double zero ('00'), which means that the casino gains extra house advantage.
2. The layout which is an area on the roulette table with numbers on it corresponding to those on the wheel. The layout is divided into inner and outer sections for inside and outside bets. Inner section represents the exact numbers (1 to 36), while outside section shows certain areas that represent groups of numbers:
- Dozens representing first (1-12), second (13-24) or third (25-36) 12 numbers each,
- Columns representing three vertical lines of numbers on the layout,
- High and Low (numbers 1 to 18 and 19 to 36 correspondingly),
- Red or Black and
- Odd or Even.
These areas determine the two types of the bets the players
Inside bets - bets either on a certain number that bring 35 to 1 payout or on smaller groups of numbers depending on their vicinity on the layout - 2-number, 3-number, 4-number and 6-number bets each bringing different payout.
Outside bets made on the larger groups of numbers as marked on the outer section of the table layout - dozen, column, high or low etc.
The roulette casino game begins when the players make their bets putting colored chips on certain positions on the layout. The chips are of different color for each player so that different bets don't get mixed. Then the croupier (or dealer) launches small plastic ball in the direction opposite to that of the spinning wheel. According to the rules
of the roulette game no bets can be made when the ball starts losing speed and falls onto the track on the wheel. The ball stops moving and falls into one of the pockets on the wheel, thus identifying the winning number.
After the winning number is known, the croupier cleans the table off the lost bets and gives payments to the winners. The winners may change their chips into cash.
Starting the roulette game it is important to determine your main goal and to proceed with the game holding it in your mind. Larger goals make greater risks for the player. For example, the chances of predicting the exact winning number are too low to make straight bets. That is why the first recommendation of most roulette game guides is to make outside bets rather than inside ones in order to reduce the risks and to get more chances to win, even if your payout is less.