Types of roulette bets and payouts
To be able to win in the game of roulette, the player is supposed to place his or her bet on the table layout. According to the certain sections on the table layout we differentiate two basic types of bets: inside and outside bets.
Inside bets are made either on a certain number or on a group of numbers depending on their vicinity on the table layout.
- Straight bet is the bet on a certain number. It means the player is supposed to guess the exact number that will come out with the spin of the wheel. Although it has the smallest chances to come out, this bet offers the highest payout - 35 to 1.
- Split bet is the bet on two numbers placed together. To make it the player has to place his or her chips on the border between these two numbers. If this bet wins, the payout for it will be 17 to 1.
- Street bet is the bet on three adjoining numbers with the 11 to 1 payout.
- Corner (square) bet on four adjoining numbers pays out 8 to 1. To make this bet the chips are placed on the intersection between the 4 numbers' borders.
- 5 number bet is made on 5 certain numbers - '0', '00', 1, 2 & 3. This bet is made only in American roulette. The payout here will be 6 to 1.
- Line bet is the bet on 6 adjoining numbers on the layout. It pays out 5 to 1.
Although they are considered to be more risky, at the same time inside bets offer players better odds.
Outside bets correspond to the certain areas on the table layout situated in the outside section. These areas represent larger groups of numbers like Columns or Dozens and Black or Red:
- Dozen. It is a bet on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd 12 numbers on the layout (1 to 12, 13 to 24 or 25 to 36) with the 2 to 1 payout.
- Column is the bet on any of 3 vertical lines of numbers on the table layout. The payout for this bet makes 2 to 1.
- High/Low. This is the bet on any of two groups of numbers - low (1 to 18) or high (19 to 36) - with the 1 to 1 payout.
- Odd/Even. It is the bet on any odd or even number on the layout with the 1 to 1 payout.
- Red/Black bet actually speaks for itself. It pays out 1 to 1.
The payout for outside bets is considerably less than for inside bets, but the chances to win here are higher. That is why one of the tips to succeed in the roulette is to make outside bets in the first place.
Just as inside or outside bets correspond to the certain groups of numbers represented on the table layout, call bets are made on certain groups of numbers that appear on the wheel. In fact, these bets are made in some casinos with European roulette wheels only, according to the special arrangement of numbers on the wheel. Casinos that offer call bets have a special area near the traditional inside and outside betting layout.
- Voisins du zero (meaning simply 'neighbors of zero') are numbers that are situated between numbers 22 & 25 (22 & 25 included): 22/ 18/ 29/ 7/ 28/ 12/ 35/ 3/ 26/ 0/ 32/ 15/ 19/ 4/ 21/ 2/ 25
- Jeu zero (meaning 'zero game') - bet on the numbers that are closest to '0': 12/ 35/ 3/ 26/ 0/ 32/ 15
- Tier ('the third') - bet on 12 numbers lying between 27 & 33: 27/ 13/ 36/ 11/ 30/ 8/ 23/ 10/ 5/ 24/ 16/ 33
- Orphelins ('orphans') - bet on numbers situated on two areas on the wheel outside Tiers and Voisins - 17/ 34/ 6/ 1/ 20/ 14/ 31/ 9.
- XX and the neighbors. XX corresponds to the certain number the player chooses. Neighbors are two numbers situated on both sides of the chosen number.
- Finals - bets covering all numbers ending with the same digit, like 3/ 13/ 23/ 33.